Saturday, September 5, 2009

Week 28 & two trips to the hospital.




Week 28 actually started on Wed. 9/2/2009. According to this website http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_calendar/week28.html, the baby weighs about 2 lbs and 2 oz. But I'm big and heavy now. I weigh 126 lbs. The chest size is 38 and stomach size is 40.

I've been having an easy pregnancy until this week. On Thursday, 9/3/2009, I had contractions. The contraction started around noon. But it was mild. So I thought the pain was from the heartburn. The pain continued throughout the day but again, I thought either it was the heartburn or the baby kicked so hard. At around 4:30pm, I felt uncomfortable but the pain seemed to go away if I put myself in an inclined position. So I went home. Actually I got to run some errands before I went home too.

When I got home, I took a nap until 8pm then went to the REI store to exchange the shoes and went to HEB to get the heartburn medicine and some snacks. I went home but the pain was so uncomfortable that I couldn't eat anything. I just drank milk with protein powder. At this point, it occurred to me that I might have contractions. So I googled the contractions and read about Braxton Hicks contractions and thought it would be OK. I went to bed around 10 pm and slept in an inclined position. The pain kept coming and going. Around 11pm, the pain got worse and the frequency increased to every 5 mins. It didn't seem normal any more. So I called the nurse from the United Healthcare insurance. She talked to me and asked about the symptoms then advised me to go to the hospital. I called my doctor's after hour number and talked to the on-call doctor. She suggested me to come in immediately.

The thought of early labor started hitting me. I was scared but then took a bath and had a bowel movement (as a friend suggested) to get ready for the labor. During the drive to the hospital, Thuy and I talked about the dream of having the baby early. And the dream that Nhu-Y was protected by the Lady Buddha. So we were at ease to think that she would be OK. I was hoping she wouldn't come out at this time b/c it was too early, only 28 weeks.

When we got to the hospital, the doctor and nurse checked. They said the contractions could be caused by several things: infections, dehydration ...etc. But if I had early signs of labor, they would try to use medicine to stop the contractions and dilation. Because it was too early. They took the urine sample and determined I was dehydrated. The pelvic was still close and high so there was no sign of early labor yet. Phew!!! We were so relieved. They gave me some IVs and released me from the hospital.

I got home around 3:30am. When I came in the hospital, the pain was about 7 out of 10 (I reserved 10 for the labor later). When I got out, the pain about about 3 out of 10. Even though the pain was less, the contractions still occurred. The frequency was still at every 5 mins. I also got diarrhea every hour or less. So throughout the night I couldn't sleep at all.

At 8am on Friday, 9/4/2009, I called my doctor's office and told the nurse about what happened. She rushed me in to see the doctor immediately. I got to their office around 9am. The doctor performed the pelvic exam again. The pelvic was still close and high. There was no sign of labor yet. Phew !!! Another relief. The doctor didn't give me anything to control the diarrhea b/c it was a way my body got rid of virus or bacteria. She suggested me to go on a clear liquid diet for a day or until the diarrhea was under control. She gave me a number to call if the symptoms got worse after at night or during the weekend. I was supposed to go to Myrtle Beach, SC for Thuy's brother's wedding on Saturday. But the doctor advised me not to go anywhere out side of Austin. I needed to be in town to make sure there was no sign of early labor. And I shouldn't put any more stress on my body.

Thuy and I talked and I decided that he should go on with the trip. I could be here by myself. But when he talked to his brother and his dad, they told him to stay home to take care of me. I thought the contractions were under control. I could call a cab to the hospital. At the hospital, the nurse would take care of me. But Thuy didn't feel OK to leave me here.

At around 10pm on Friday night, I vomited after drinking water. I called the after hour's number and the nurse told me to check in to the hospital again. She said it was dangerous when I was so dehydrated that my body couldn't take any more food or liquid. And at 28 weeks, I would have a risk of early labor if I didn't treat the dehydration. At this point, Thuy was sure that he wouldn't go on the trip even though I packed for him already.

We checked in the hospital again. One of the nurses recognized us from the night before. This time, I went in with no pain and no fear of early labor. I was very relax. They checked the urine sample and performed the pelvic exam. Then they decided to keep me there to give me IVs for the night. The doctor gave me cranberry juice, soda and 2 packs of crackers. I was so happy with the crackers since I didn't have any solid food for more than 24 hrs. They moved us to a bigger room to stay over night. Thuy had a sofa to sleep on instead of sitting on a chair. It was around 2am when we moved into that room. Finally the nurse stopped going in and left us sleep for the night until 6am. She checked and said the doctor would release me soon. The doctor visited me again before she left. I didn't get out of the hospital until 9:30am.

I went to the St. David's Women's Center of Texas. The room was big and clean. The staff was attentive, quick and friendly. I guess I don't have to tour the hospital any more. I also had the experience with the contractions. For sure, I will go with epidural when in labor. There is no doubt of it. I have to prepare for the delivery any time now instead of waiting until Nov. Thuy said one of my dreams came true. The baby came out but the nurse had to put her back b/c she was so small. I hope the other dream about Nhu-Y was protected by the Lady Buddha will come true to her life too.

The doctor allowed me to eat solid food today but not much. She suggested to eat jello, banana, and soup. I still got diarrhea every time I ate solid food. I hope this will go away soon. I hope not to return to the hospital until Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment