Thursday, August 20, 2009

"Maybe"

"Once upon a time a peasant had a horse. This horse ran away,so the peasant's neighbours came to console him for his bad luck. He answered: "Maybe".

The day after the horse came back, leading 6 wild horses with it. The neighbours came to congratulate him on such good luck. The peasant said: "Maybe".

The day after, his son tried to saddle and ride on one of the wild horses, but he fell down and broke his leg. Once again the neighbours came to share that misfortune. The peasant said: "Maybe".

The day after, soldiers came to conscript the youth of the village, but the peasant's son was not chosen because of his broken leg. When the neighbours came to congratulate, the peasant said again :"May be"."

(Huai Nan Tzu)

Quynh's comment:

This is Thuy's belief. Nothing is absolute. Everything, good or bad, is relative. He applies this to almost everything. When seeing a good thing, he's not too excited. B/c it may not be a good thing. When dealing with a bad thing, he's not too sad or frustrated. B/c it may not be a bad thing. This helps to prevent him from jumping into an accusation or judgment toward something or someone.

I like it very much. But I'm not there yet. I'm still very emotional. This is a story that would help me to control my emotion and prevent me from judging someone or something. This definitely is a story that I will tell my kid(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment